Saturday, January 14, 2006

Re-setup of xen

After I screwed my laptop last week while installing Ubuntu Lite, I lost all my previous installation of Xen. So while rebuilding my laptop, I installed RH FC4, and now on weekend when I tried launching xen domUs, it started giving me mount errors.
"mount: error 6 mounting ext3"

I made one mistake. When you want to reproduce any working system, you should set all the parameters same as they were in your past working system and should not try anything new. I started to boot from LVM volumes this time, which I had never tried before. So it made me believe that the error was because of trying booting from LVMs.

But when I tried from another physical partition, which used to work before, I found it also giving same error.

I tried fsck'ing, reinstalling all file systems, and then deleted all the extra partitions and created and reinstalled RHFC4 again on them. Even this didn't solve the problem. At last as it turned out, the 'root' parameter in the xm config file had to be set to the drive from which I was eventually loading OS. I was using it as /dev/hda1 while my domU OS was being loaded from /dev/hda3. So changing this actually solved the problem, and I could boot my domU.

To my surprise, I had noticed this 'root' anomaly before, but changing it did not help that time. Now I don't recall, but it might had to do with LVM being installed on an extended partition at that time. I don't have any clue on this.

Anyway, now the field is clear for new experiments.

No comments: